Episode #33: Pain and Pleasure Motivators in Recovery
Are you running from pain or towards pleasure? When new in recovery, most people are running from the pain they have endured because of their addiction to alcohol. After a while, however, that pain diminishes as they start to enjoy the benefits of recovery. It no longer feeds their motivation to stay sober and they relapse. That’s when running towards pleasure becomes important to maintaining recovery.
In this episode of Back Porch Chats, Vince and Jeanna talk about the importance of both running from pain and towards pleasure. If you have struggled with relapse in the past, listen to this episode to get tips that might help you in the future.
- How one person identified her recovery/relapse cycle and the part pain and pleasure played in it.
- How shifting from running from pain to running towards pleasure helps maintain recovery.
- Examples of pain in addiction and pleasure in recovery.
- Tips to help you work towards pleasure.
Are you interested in learning about self-care to help you prevent relapse and live more fully?
One of the ways to do that is to look for the pleasures in your life, so you can run towards them. In Jeanna’s new course, “Simply Sober Self-Care,” she introduces many self-care activities you can do to that help you find those pleasures.
During the creation of this course, Jeanna realized that not only do we not practice proper self-care while in active addiction, often our lack of certain self-care activities prior to addiction led to our alcohol use. A lack of skills like setting boundaries and practicing spirituality often led to the phrase, “I need a drink.”
If you want tips and tools to help you beat “I Need a Drink” Thinking, check out the “Simply Sober Self-Care” course.
Get More from Back Porch Chats:
Connect with Jeanna Online:
How You Can Help
If you enjoy this podcast and would like to offer your support, there are three things you can do.
1. Head over to your favorite podcast app and leave a review.
2. Share this episode on social media.
3. Visit our store and wear your support. Now available: Back Porch Chats Merchandise in the Now Sober Lifestyle store.
Subscribe to our Podcast on: